Saturday, June 16, 2018

Bringing Michael Jordan to Life

All too often I want students in my classroom to see an issue in a 360 degree perspective. The present generation never knew Michael Jordan for who he really was...probably the most amazing basketball player ever. Not just for his fabulous moves to the basket, talent to transform defeat to victory or leadership on the basketball court, but for his ability to understand the difference between success and failure.

One of my insightful lessons centers on the concept of "failing your way to success." By a show of hands, I ask if anyone wants to have a successful business...perhaps become a successful athlete or singer? Then they need to get ready to fail. As humans we learn through failure, that’s something wired into our brains. Think about how do we learn to walk. We start by crawling, then we learn to stand up, then we make few steps and we keep falling on the ground, then one day we are suddenly running. Learn from your failures and you begin moving in the right direction. Remember...the key word here is LEARN.

“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan

Very cool indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment