Friday, September 10, 2010

First week reflections

It's been quite a week...and I'm lovin' it! It has been 36 years since I was a full-time student, and times have changed considerably...especially when it comes to technology in the classroom. I remember those days at Madison with lecture halls of 250+ students and one professor standing in the front and lecturing.

Occasionally he would scribble some notes on the chalkboard and refer to a citation inside a textbook. Nowadays it's all about SMARTboards, PowerPoint, engaged dialogue and questions, E-mail, D2L, active participation, feedback and so much more.

I completed my initial Digital Autobiography using ANIMOTO. I kept the first one rather simple, and will now begin to experiment more with it in the days ahead. This is cool stuff, and I see great potential for using this concept in the classroom environment. Like all new things, there was a bit of hesitation on my part.....but this is an exciting time to live and to try new things...all the more reason to RUN into the water diving head-first rather than dangling my toes in the shallow water.

Once I completed the task I said to myself, "What a fantastic way to communicate with other people, not to mention young people in the classroom!" If I can't embrace something like this, how can I expect my students to try new things? Hmmmm........

So what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment