Friday, June 11, 2021

End of School Year Reflection

My ninth year of professional teaching has come to an end, and as much as I’d prefer to totally forget it altogether, there are some important implications that historians will explore further in fine detail. I would be an outright liar if I made the statement that I wasn’t challenged this past year. Circumstances beyond my control tested my resolve when dealing with students, parents, and sometimes even my cohorts at school. I know it wasn’t the best situation for everyone, and each handled it differently. 

Some students hid from school by hunkering down at home. Although they were considered virtual in nature, they were far removed from any learning activity. As a result they made no progress whatsoever and their social skills suffered in ways we’ll likely never know. My fear is that many of these individuals will be lost in life altogether, creating a void which will never be filled. When they return to the classroom next fall, these students will require personal attention, for their emotional sake as well as bringing them up to speed with learning. Many of these individuals lack the necessary supports needed from home, much less identifying one or two adults who they value as a positive role model. When school resumes in early September, it will be interesting to see first-hand the development gap between those students who chose to learn remotely versus those who elected to be in the classroom every day.

Some students handled masking and covid protocols in an admirable manner. Their resolve is to be complimented and admired, for they have demonstrated an ability to adapt to their environment. Whether they know it or not, I sense they have likely acquired new skills which will strengthen their character for many years to come. Their railroad cars never derailed and they will continue to prosper once normalcy returns to everyday life.

In reading that “final essay question” I always pose to my freshmen students in Global Studies, I discovered that many of them made the connection to how well off they have it compared to others who live in the Eastern Hemisphere. The overwhelming percentage of them were able to comply with the required 3-4 solid paragraphs, each consisting of 4-5 well-written sentences. Inside each reflection was a story of genuine realization that they “got it” just as I hoped and more. Their insight came from various lesson segments taught earlier in the school year, and each composition delivered a sense of satisfaction which teachers live to experience.

I still value my time and efforts in the classroom. My energy level remains high and I love integrating new technologies with real-life experiences. And best of all, I still learn from my students!


No comments:

Post a Comment