Tuesday, August 31, 2021

The Start of Year Ten

Tomorrow marks the beginning of a new school year, one which has raised the bar of expectations to new levels. After being negatively impacted by covid over the past eighteen months, school administrators are determined to get their students back to a regular routine of hands-on classroom learning. Teachers are fully aware that a considerable segment of our student population is lacking skill-sets associated with English, Math, Science, and other subject areas- not without mentioning the social-emotional scars, often hidden and unseen. Regardless, there is a feeling of optimism and hope throughout the hallways of school and I am excited to be begin another new chapter of teaching.

My room is also the home for another student-teacher this fall. Bryden is a non-traditional student from UW-Oshkosh who spent almost ten years in business and marketing before realizing his true desire to teach. Standing 6'7", I feel like I'm in the presence of my son, Jacob, who stands in similar height. I look forward to him sharing new experiences with my students.  Ironically, for the first time in my career, I am not teaching any freshman classes this fall. Instead my assigned responsibilities are with grades 11-12 and the subject of Economics...a timely topic when our economy is being pushed and pulled in ways not known in recent history.

No comments:

Post a Comment